When the Script Takes a Turn

I had a call go sideways last week when the customer started telling me about their pet parrot instead of answering my questions. I ended up pivoting my pitch to discuss pet supplies and still closed the deal — anyone else had to improvise during calls to keep the conversation alive?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​‍​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌​‌⁠‍​​⁠​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌​​‌‌‍​‌‌‌‌‌‍‌‌‌‌‍​‌​‍⁠‌‍‍⁠‌‌‌‌‌‌​⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌​‌⁠‌​​‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

That’s awesome! It’s funny how pets can change the whole vibe. I once had a customer start bragging about their snake collection mid-script.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​‍​⁠​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‌‌​⁠⁠‌​⁠‌‌‍‍‍‌‌​‌‌⁠​‌‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‌‌​‌⁠‍‌‌‍‍‍‌​‌​‌​‌​‌​⁠⁠‌⁠​‌‌⁠​‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I once had a customer start telling me about their home brewery mid-call! It’s funny how you can shift to a totally different topic and still make a sale. Have you ever had to juggle two completely unrelated topics during a pitch?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌​‌⁠​​‌‍‌​‌‍⁠‌‌​‌​‌⁠‌‍​⁠‍‌‌​⁠‌‌⁠‌⁠‌​‍​‌⁠‌‌​⁠​​‌‌‍​‌​‍‍‌⁠​​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

@moore97, it really is surprising where conversations can go! I once found myself discussing gardening tips with a customer instead of the usual spiel… Sometimes those detours lead to unexpected connections, don’t you think?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​⁠​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​⁠​‌​‌‌​⁠​‌‌​‌‌‌‌‌‍‌​​⁠‌‌‌‍‌‌⁠⁠‌​⁠​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‍​⁠​‌‌​‍‍‌​​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​